Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review of Garbology by Edward Humes Chapter 2

Going on to this chapter, Humes informs the readers the contrast between how trash was dealt with in Puente Hills and in New York in the 1890s. I would never thought of utilzing animals, especially pigs as mentioned, as a solution to getting rid of trash. I found it to be interesting how Colonel George E. Waring, a Civil War veteran, would be thought of as the solution to our trash problem during that time. Waring and his "White Wings" were applauded by many in which they pursued to clean New York. At first, I thought of Waring's plan of the three waste bins would work, but just when you think we have a solution, it completely fails. I think if Waring's plan were to be utilized as of today, most likely more people will choose not to follow. When you think about it, there really is no difference the way we get rid of trash than in the 1890s. I believe that some people still recycle, but I don't think people would actually follow Waring's three bins.   

No comments:

Post a Comment